Archive for June 11th, 2009
The OpenDS development team is very pleased to announce the immediate availability of OpenDS 2.0.0-RC2, the second and probably last release candidate for OpenDS 2.0.
OpenDS 2.0 has a number of new features over OpenDS 1.2.0 that was released in February 2009 :
- A new mode for Multi-Master Replication providing greater consistency and availability of data: Assured Replication
- Recurring tasks allow an administrator to schedule repeated tasks such as backups
- New extensible matching rules and indexing allowing comparing, ordering of data according to specific locales and languages
- Better monitoring information for the server and for Replication
- Full compliance with RFC 4518 and matching of UTF-8 in attributes with a DirectoryString syntax
- VLV indexes are now built during the Import
- Several improvements in the Control Panel
- Works with IBM JVM (Java 6 SR4 required)
- Works by default with JConsole and VisualVM when JMX Connection Handler is enabled
- Default settings and ergonomics have been improved reducing the need for tuning parts of the server
- Greatly improved performances and stability over time of those performances
- Resolved a possible security issue when Pre-ReadEntry, Post-ReadEntry and Assertion Controls were enabled
Overall, over 170 issues have been fixed.
The purpose of the Release Candidate is to solicit one last round of testing before the final release.
So please test the OpenDS release with your client applications, in your environment or on your favorite platform.
Our quality team will be doing the same during the next 2 to 3 weeks.
If you do find a bug, please report it with Issue Tracker.
OpenDS 2.0.0-RC2 is built from revision 5417 of the b2.0 branch of our source tree.
The direct link to download the core server is: http://www.opends.org/promoted-builds/2.0.0-RC2/OpenDS-2.0.0-RC2.zip
The direct link to download the DSML gateway is: http://www.opends.org/promoted-builds/2.0.0-RC2/OpenDS-2.0.0-RC2-DSML.war
We have also updated the archive that may be used to install OpenDS via Java Web Start. You may launch that using the URL http://www.opends.org/promoted-builds/2.0.0-RC2/install/QuickSetup.jnlp, or visit https://www.opends.org/wiki/page/OverviewOfTheQuickSetupTool for more information.
Detailed information about this build is available at http://www.opends.org/promoted-builds/2.0.0-RC2.
Major changes incorporated since OpenDS 2.0.0 RC1 include:
- Revisions 5376, 5388, 5390 (Issues #3997, 4006 and 3993) – Improvements to the schema parsing mechanism.
- Revision 5378 (Issue #3898) – Make all information from a BIND request accessible from AuthenticationInfo.
- Revision 5381 (Issue #4009) – Fixes to the upgrade facility.
- Revision 5384 (Issue #3856) – Improvements to the way in which connections and extended operations are logged.
- Revision 5386 (Issue #3996) – Fix a problem that could result in lost delete operations within a replication topology.
- Revision 5392 (Issue #4010) – Fix an exception in the DSML implementation.
- Revision 5394 (Issue #4014) – Improve the information showed by start-ds.
- Revision 5395 (Issue #4013) – Fix an encoding error for the server side sort response control.
- Revision 5396 (Issue #4011) – Correct a problem with indexing after an upgrade.
- Revisions 5398, 5400, 5403 & 5412 – Localization improvements.
- Revision 5402 (Issue #4007) – Improve performance when importing entries containing attributes with many values.
- Revisions 5404 & 5409 (Issue #4020) – Allow help links in the control panel to be customized.
- Revision 5406 (Issue #4022) – Fix a Java exception when using dsconfig -m/unit-time.
- Revision 5407 (Issue #4027) – Fix an NPE when configuring network groups.
- Revision 5411 (Issue #3988) – Improve throughput stability and GC performance under heavy connect/disconnect loads.
- Revision 5414 (Issue #4062) – Enable the deregistering of add/change/delete configuration listeners.
- Revision 5415 (Issue #4012) – Improve the import task to handle missing include branches.
- Revision 5417 (Issue #4023) – Restart the server after scheduling a restart task.